People tend to associate mercury with its silvery liquid form - perhaps found in old thermometers. It was also used in electrical switches or relays that were built into machines until the mid-20th century. It can also be found in florescent lamps and even newer energy saving lamps.
This liquid form of mercury is especially dangerous because it vaporizes at room temperature. When it vaporizes, it fills the air with tiny, invisible mercury atoms that are both scentless and soluble in oils or fats.
If mercury vapor is inhaled, it is easily absorbed by the body, where it first gets into the lungs and then into the blood and the brain. The associated nerve damage can cause sleep disorders, agitation and paralysis. Even a simple thing such as a broken thermometer can lead to mercury poisoning. It can be particularly dangerous in a children's playroom if liquid mercury seeps into the cracks and corners and is left to vaporize.
MEI employs experienced staff and the latest technology to detect and abate mercury contamination. MEI has over 3 decades of experience in responding to emergency spills throughout the United States. MEI utilizes “state-of-the-art” detection equipment for mercury decontamination.
MEI can provide the following mercury related services:
- Mercury detection and confirmation
- Mercury control and abatement
- Disposal of materials contaminated by mercury
- Decontamination of released mercury vapor